background

Saturday, March 22, 2014

What's going on...

Let's take a little break from Christmas pictures to catch up on things around here...
We are thinking more seriously about buying a house soon! That is exciting news, as I can't wait to nest in and make a house our home. It's been almost five years since we got here, and it will be nice to feel like we're finally really settled in Denver. We're looking around Broomfield because we love all that it has to offer - tons of trails and beautiful places to walk or ride bikes, lots of mature trees, an older established feel, shops and a great library close by, and not too far from Jim's work. We are looking into the possibility of buying the house we're in right now as the owners previously said they may be willing to sell; we're still waiting to hear back from them and we'll go from there. We love this neighborhood, with a beautiful lake to walk around and a nice park for the kids. Many of the houses in Broomfield are kind of quirky, built in the 50's and 60's; we like the newer more streamlined floor plan of the newer houses, and love the circular floor plan in the house we are in. It gives the kids lots of uninterrupted space to run, or ride their scooters or bikes.

Since August I noticed that I had a lot of pain a few days a month in my abdomen, related to my monthly cycle. I finally realized it was more than cramps on Halloween when we did a lot of walking around the neighborhood and the pain progressively got worse so that I had to head home early, and could barely get Wade out of his shoes and jacket. I felt nauseous and white with pain, very similar to really bad contractions. So I made an appointment at my OBGYN and finally got scheduled for a sonogram. They found some sort of mass a couple of millimeters wide in the fallopian tube that looked just like an ectopic pregnancy but that was ruled out with a urine and blood test. I've been going back for sonograms every 6 to 8 weeks to monitor its growth. They initially thought it was a fibroid and thought the pain might be from it deflating, and then I went back to another Dr. in the practice and her sonographer thought it was definitely not a fibroid, but a rare kind of cyst. The scary/tricky part is that it is in a spot right near an artery and the first sonographer said that if it was an ectopic pregnancy I could bleed out! Ugh. Or if it gets big fast it could be a dangerous situation. And she thought they might not be able to take it out because of the dangerous location next to the artery. So........now they're saying it's a rare kind of cyst, and they're going to continue to monitor it. In the meantime, I am in excruciating pain every month for 1-5 days, to the point that I can hardly talk or walk at times and have to figure out how to take care of the boys. Thank goodness for Netflix at times like those! ;-) It makes me feel very isolated when I'm sick and can't take care of everything I'm supposed to. I already struggle with the fact that we're so far from family, and in times like this I feel it even more. Right now I'm on day 3 of this month's bout, and I'm planning on calling another Dr. on Monday to schedule an appointment for a second opinion. If you could pray for my peace of mind, a quick and successful resolution to the issue and the pain, and the ability to trust God to provide all of our needs here in Denver, I'd appreciate that!

In September we started visiting new churches and we think we've finally found one! It's Calvary Bible Church in Boulder. It's about 1/2 hour away, so that is the only downside. But our next thing to do is to figure out if they they have any small groups in our area. Also, we are planning on going for the adult Sunday school hour because that's one of the things we love that they have and it gives us the opportunity to get to know people more quickly and deeply. The kids love their classes, and Garrett got a nice note from a grandfatherly teacher he has, thanking him for joining in the question time so well and being so respectful...always nice for parents to read!

I'm feeling the need for some social outlets and also would love to study the Bible deeper, so I'm going to sign up for a Bible Study Fellowship class that will start next September. I was trying to figure out how to do this while homeschooling, and found a charter school that offers elective classes to homeschoolers one day a week. I just signed Garrett up for that, and it looks like he will be getting some fun classes - cooking, art, creative writing, PE, cultures of the world, music, sports and games (over 2 semesters). At the same time, BSF has a great children's program for Wyatt and Wade while I'm in Bible Study so I think Wednesdays will be a good time for all of us!

Jim is doing well, likes working at Sashco, and is busy keeping his eye on the housing market around here. He's planning a camping/fishing trip for him and Garrett and Wyatt for September, and thinks they'll go on some day fishing trips this summer too. (After last summer's camping trip I decided I'll wait to go with Wade until he's a year or two older; it was stressful trying to keep track of him in the mud, etc. and he kept waking up crying throughout the night. We'll all have more fun when he's a little older!)

4 comments:

Grandma Seelye said...

Oh Erin, I am so sorry to hear about that growth! And you have struggled with this for months! A second opinion is a good idea. Yes, I will surely pray for a quick successful resolution and pain relief.And peace of mind from the lord. Glad you signed up for BSF! I hope you will be able to buy your house you are now renting.That would be so much easier than moving again. Love and prayers.

Robin said...

Hi Erin, it's such a good idea to update everyone on what's going on and how to lift you up in prayer. I pray that you'll have a good diagnosis and treatment for your pain! You're smart to start BSF and the charter school ... it sounds wonderful to study the Word and be with other women (and other kids for the boys, too). Can't wait to hear about a house purchase! Let's pray that happens soon too! Love you ... Mom

Unknown said...

Erin,
I am so sorry to hear about your fallopian cyst. That sounds incredibly painful, and surely frightening, too. I will be praying that you get some good, solid information when you see the new doctor, and for comfort and peace-- and the support you need.

Great Aunt Gretchen said...

Ditto on all of the above! Anxious to hear what the new doc says.